Monday, April 19, 2010

Appointment with Midwife

This last Thursday I had an appointment at the hospital. It ended up being with the midwife I don't like instead of the doctor I usually go to. I arrived 15 minutes early and the midwife saw me 30 minutes late! But that's just how it goes sometimes. When the midwife first came in the room she asked me how everything was going and I said good. Then she sat down, opened my file, gasped, and then started looking at me up and down with a disgusted face.

...Ok I will give you a little background first...So when I first found out I was pregnant I took a prenatal class and there was a nutritionist there who told me I could gain 30-35 lbs instead of the 25-30. I have gained 38 lbs. so far but that's not too far off track...but I still have 10 weeks...

Ok so back to the midwife...so she was looking at me rudely and I knew exactly what she was thinking and the next thing she said was "someone got in the Easter candy". I was so mad. I know I have gained more weight than needed but gee wiz.

After my appointment with the Midwife I had to go to the lab to take the glucose tolerance test. I had to drink a fruit punch drink that was made of like pure sugar. The guy warned me about the drink saying that some people throw up and stuff but it wasn't as bad as he was making it sound...it wasn't good though either. So after I had the drink I had to wait an hour so they could take my blood. Of course when it came time to taking my blood they couldn't find my veins and dug around in both my arms for 10 minutes. And then after getting my blood drawn I had to give them a urine sample.

I was sad because Ryan had a patient at the dental clinic during the time of our appointment so he wasn't able to make it. By the time I was done at the hospital though (2+ hours) Ryan was already there standing watch at the information desk for duty so I was able to talk to him for a few minutes before I went home.

The next day I had to go back to the hospital to get a rhogam shot since I am Rh negative. When I was getting my shot another nurse came in saying the midwife needed to talk to me before I left the hospital. It made me nervous because the only reason she would need to talk to me would be to tell me bad news about the glucose tolerance test..which would mean that I am diabetic. They only talk to you if they have bad news about the tests not if everything is fine. But when she came to talk to me she said that my sugar levels were fine but I am anemic. Which is not news to me so I was relieved.

3 comments:

  1. Ugh! That is so annoying. You look dang good, Woman! Don't let her mean looks tell you otherwise. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have said something rude to her. Of all people, a freaking midwife, should know that women are sensitive about their weight. Especially women who are gaining weight. Even if they are SUPPOSED to be gaining weight because they are pregnant! I would have sworn probably too. B!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw your blog address on your face book and thought I would read it I hope you don't mind. I don't know if the have more than one midwife at the hospital but when I was prego with Mary I had to see her ever once in awhile and didn't like her. She wasn't very nice she would go through my chart and say all these things I could do better. Hopefully you don't have to see her again.

    ReplyDelete